What Do CASA Advocates Do ?
Steps to becoming a CASA Volunteer Advocate
Step 1: Attend an information session, we offer several throughout the month. It’s recommended to register in advance. 559-244-6485.
Step 2: Complete an application, submit to a background check, and interview with a CASA representative.
Step 3: Complete our 40-hour Advocate Academy training program. Advocate Academy is offered three times a year in the Spring, Summer & Fall.
Step 4: Swearing-In Ceremony – As a graduate of the program, you’ll take the Oath of Office to serve as a Court Appointed Special Advocate.
- You’ll be assigned only one child or family of children, and you’ll spend time getting acquainted through outings and home and school visits.
- You also will communicate with the children’s foster parents, teachers, social workers, and doctors.
- Foster children may experience a great deal of turnover among the adults in their lives, so your consistent presence and support are important. That’s one reason CASA volunteers commit to at least 18 months of service. You will make a difference.
As you get to know the children, you’ll understand their needs well enough to make recommendations to the court on their behalf. You’ll have authority to gather information from school, medical, and mental health records as needed. Depending on the dynamics of the case, you can expect to spend 15 to 20 hours a month as a volunteer.
To become a CASA volunteer, you must:
- Have a desire to help children
- Be at least 21 years old
- Be able to relate to people of other cultural backgrounds
- Pass a criminal background check
- Commit to 18 months of service to provide consistency for the children
- Be able to spend 15 to 20 hours per month on a case
Take The Next Steps
- Call (559) 244-6485 to register for an upcoming information session.
- Attend the information session.
- Complete and submit an application and one-page autobiography.
- We will schedule you for an interview. Interviews take about an hour and are scheduled weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- You will be notified whether you are accepted as an advocate.
- Attend advocate training.